Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Laal Pencil

Hyderabad Children's festival is on and as part of this they are staging three plays. The kids and I went to the first play Laal Pencil. This was the first play for the girls. For me it was after a long gap.

The organizers had mentioned that there was a carnival at 5:30PM and the play was supposed to start at 6:30 PM. Given the logistics, we could make it there only by 6:30 PM. Luckily for us the play started a little late and so the girls could get their fill of the carnival activities for atleast 10-15 min.

Now for the play itself. It was heartening to see only a handful of people on stage, less people reduces the complexity and makes it easy for the little kids to understand the story being told. The story is very nice. The acting of the main character Pinky was very believable. The kids were able to relate to her and to her class and classmates. They did not get why she was not speaking the truth and simply saying that the pencil was doing the poetry. They got the humour, the quirkiness of some characters. The length of the play was appropriate for the kids, a little longer and the attention would have waned.

The best thing that I liked about the play was the quality of the sound. I remember the last time I had attended a play, the sound was grating on the ears. The actors were unable to modulate the voice and were too loud or too gentle with their voice. I liked that the voice was pre-recorded and so the actors only needed to concentrate on their actions.

If I had to pick a bone, I would say that the last part where Pinky discovers the poetess in herself without any crutches was quick, only one or 2 lines and the story got wrapped up. 

If you are in Hyderabad, do check out the other plays at the Hyderabad Children's festival.

No comments:

My little angels are

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers