Thursday, January 24, 2013

Goodness of coconut oil


I have lived a completely urban life, so this wonder of a nut was what was introduced to me via poems and stories told by my mother. Growing up, this tree was special only because each and every element of it is usable. We do use coconut a lot in our cooking but that’s about it. Coconut oil applied to hair was so not fashionable and was to be used only a few hours before washing the hair.
Who knew that there was a bend in this story and I was to use this oil every so often. One day my darling daughter at 3 months of age broke into hives after a bath and the paediatrician declared that she has allergic eczema. Then began the saga of using medicines and of using topical steroids, It was not easy to see a baby in pain because of her skin. I used a whole lot of moisturisers – off the shelf ones, expensive prescription ones - But the one remedy that worked like a charm was the coconut oil – and I was aware of only one brand Parachute – which is what I relied on. An application of the coconut oil immediately after bath kept her skin smooth and supple and kept the baby chirpy and happy. It was the safest remedy so I did not have to worry about how much or how many times I was applying. It was easy on the pocket too ;)
As this idea had worked on a little baby – I then tried it on myself – Lather it generously after a bath and wipe away the excess to not stain clothes. I haven’t had to use a moisturiser once I discovered this routine.
The cold months do bring on patches of dry skin for the daughter and the remedy of choice is still Parachute coconut oil – Now even she suggests that I use the coconut oil instead of Cetaphil as the latter stings when applied on dry skin. Both my daughters enjoy a coconut oil massage before bath on lazy days. Thanks Parachute for providing easy access to this wonder treatment.


 

2 comments:

Comfortably Mom said...

You have no idea how I yelped when I read this post! Come to think of it, I'm glad you didn't hear me :)

My son has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis... he broke out in angry red rashes on his 56th day. He too is on Cetaphil and it seems to be reasonably effective.

But coconut oil??!! I'm Malayali, I swear by all things coconut. The doctors here in Delhi have been warning me to stay away from oils of all kinds, although the extended family back home yell at me everyday for not marinating my 9 month old baby with Parachute before his bath. I've been stoically sticking to the prescription moisturiser, hoping for a miracle.

But you've mentioned that Cetaphil stings when applied to dry skin. And that's it. No more. Jai Parachute!

Thank you so much for this :)

AA_Mom said...

Hello Comfortably mom - welcome here. I am smiling at your comment - yes you may try coconut oil, but do a sample test first and see if it suits him.

My little angels are

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers