Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Movie

Am watching a Telugu movie after a long time. Really long time..Can't remember which was the last Telugu movie I watched..

Well anyways I say 'watching' as I catch half an hour of it at night, instead of reading a book after A&A are asleep, when V is busy on the computer. I bring my laptop to life in the darkened bedroom and watch the movie.

The movie Anand is a 2004 movie, I had heard good reviews about it (read Mom and sisters) and have liked it so far. But, the thing that surprises me is the accent. All the young actors in the movie have a very anglicized accent. It is a well known fact that the in-vogue South Indian heroines are imports of the North and that there are locals who dub for them. But, what puzzles me is why are the dubbing people putting on an accent. The young crowd in the movie seems more comfortable speaking English than Telugu. And mind you this is not advertised as a Telugu+English movie, it is a main stream Telugu movie. I can understand if I see Hindi and English in a movie like Jhankaar beats which is considered a hatke movie.

Am not sure I should be surprised, Telugu cinema has been pretty much in tune with the young generation by way of adding English words in the lyrics (early 90s)and such when compared to Hindi movie songs, where the Hinglish has come in the new century. I don't mean a word or two, but the way our generation really talks meaning Hinglish, Minglish, Tenglish and the other medleys ;-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised at all, cos the movie is just portraying whats really happening - thats the language the present generation is speaking, mothertoungue+English.

Anusha said...

unrelated comment - but thanks for visiting. a delight to read abt your twins and to find Marathi sprinkled in here (I speak a Marathi based dialect!)

AA_Mom said...

Welcome here Kodi's mom. I am a little bit familiar with Thanjavur Marathi (I assume that's what you speak) as one of my neighbours used to speak it. But then she understood Marathi well, so we never had to learn their language.

My little angels are

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers