Monday, August 24, 2009

Ganapati Bappa Morya

Happy Ganesh Chaturthi.


So far Ganesh Chaturthi used to be a very simple affair for us. Ganesh idols were not available in the north bay and so I would do a simple puja, decorate my little mandap with twinkling lights, make some modaks as prasad (the evening ahead with milk) and then do an arti and that's about it.

This being the first chaturthi after we have set up our house in Hyderabad, I decided to go for a small eco friendly Ganesh murti and follow the same ritual that I have followed so far and go to my in-laws house for a bigger celebration.

The day before as Angel and Apple were getting ready for school I told them that today as they ride to the school, they will see lots of Ganeshas and that we would go and pick Ganapati bappa later in the evening. This seemed to have perked them up more than I expected. As soon as they came home, Angel informed me that there were indeed Ganeshas when going to school today.

After their nap, they waited for the rain to subside and kept watching out the window for it to stop. Finally the rain stopped and we went to a roadside stall to pick a Ganpatiji murti. I couldn't find a clay idol which satisfied all the criteria that my MIL had listed and had to settle for a plaster of paris one :(. But the best part of this entire episode was, V held the Ganesha high on his head and danced his way to the car where Angel and Apple were eagerly waiting half hanging from the car window and the expression, excitement and happiness on their faces was worth watching. Ganesh chaturthi was totally worth it just because of the excitement on their faces.

3 comments:

Indian in NZ said...

I miss Ganesh Chaturthi celebration in Hyderabad. We have started celebrasting it here only after my kids experienced it for the first time in Hyderbad about three years back. They were so excited that they decided that we will celebrate it as best as we can in NZ as well. So we do bring a small idol, keep him for 7 days and then do the 'viserjan' in the nearby beach.

I can imagine the 2As excitement, that must be all so new to them.

mnamma said...

SOunds like you had a wonderful tim AA's Mum. The modaks look mouthwatering :)

AA_Mom said...

@mniamma - Ha ha! sorry can't share all gone now :)

@2BM it is great that you are able to re-create that magic in NZ

My little angels are

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers