Thursday, June 10, 2010

Marathi Rhymes

I am happy to be sharing these little nuggets called baby rhymes with everybody via Tulika's Blogathon 4 event.

Good to be writing them down as they will not be as fresh in my memory either as the girls grow up. Since the most common ones have already been written, let me jot down the ones that I have heard only my mom and grandma sing.

This is to stop a child from crying

Radu nako bala
kade vari ghete
draksha, sitaphala, anjeera dete
motyacha chendu yamunet gela
dhoondhit dhoondit ha vel zala


Do not cry little one
I will pick you up and
feed you grapes, custard apple and figs
The pearl ball had fallen into river Yamuna
I got late while searching for it.

To elicit some laughter
(we used to sing this while moving our hands like puppets)

Shala sutali
Pati phutali
Aayi geli shetala
Bhook lagli potala


School is done
slate is broken
Mom has gone to the fields
and now we are hungry

This one is for a baby who can sit, grab their tiny little feet and sweep your hands over them and for the teet kapala line, act as if you are applying vermillion.

Adgula madgula
sonyacha kadgula
rupyacha vala
tanhya bala
teet kapala


I am not too sure with the translation, I am thinking the first line is just some sing song words
Golden vessel (glass)
anklet made with money
little one
Here is a tilak to your forehead

3 comments:

Sadia said...

Hi! I was going to e-mail you in response to your comment, but I can't seem to find an e-mail address for you. Your daughters sound adorable, and I'm always looking for other parents hitting the same milestones and challenges we are. You can always e-mail me at doublethefunblog at gmail dot com.

Thanks for stopping by!

Rohini said...

My maids speak (and sing) to the brat in Marathi and his latest fave is Saang Saang Bholanath. He even asked me to download it and now it's on his majesty's playlist on my iPod :)

AA_Mom said...

Thanks for stopping by Rohini. A&A like Sang Sang Bholanath as well

My little angels are

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers