I like these ladoos quite some and when I googled for the names in other languages and nutritional information of these seeds, I found only one meaningful post which was on Anita's blog. As I did not find any recipes for these Aleeve/Halim/Raktabeej seeds, I decided to put the ladoo recipe in my blog for future references. These ladoos are mostly given to new mothers, as the seeds are considered to be very nutritious.
In the initial days of the delivery, when the idea is to keep it easy for the digestive system, My mom gave these seeds to me in a kheer form for 3 days and a month or so after the delivery as a ladoo. The seeds help tighten the lower back which takes a huge beating thru the pregnancy and delivery.
The Ladoos are very simple to make. Soak the seeds, they become slimy and plump like Sabja seeds. To 2 cups of soaked seeds add a cup of sugar (increase or decrease per taste)and heat it till the mixture leaves the sides. Then add half a cup of grated coconut and make ladoos while the mixture is warm. Enjoy the ladoos.
For the Kheer, soak the seeds, and add it to boiled and slightly reduced milk, add sugar and serve.
Although I should mention that since we like these ladoos, my mom makes them ocassionally. (Good News! one needn't procreate to eat them :D) Also care should be taken to clean the seeds as usually there is some fine sand in them and running thru a seive before soaking removes the sand and other dust particles.

2 comments:
Hi i am Anupama a mommy blogger from Bangalore I have linked to your blog ..would be obloged if you cld check out my space and link back..thanx
Welcome here Anupama :). I like your name. I will stop by your space as well.
Post a Comment